Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Hope in Christ


For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 


Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. Psalm 42:11 


But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31  


The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121:7-8 
  

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13  


A friend recently shared on Facebook that it had been 20 years since her first husband died. It was a traumatic death in our small community, and several friends shared their memories of her husband (following her post), and several (including me!) remember the day well since it was so tragic.


The day following, she thanked everyone for their thoughts and memories. More importantly, she shared that hope is found in Jesus Christ. 


I can’t imagine what she went through when her young husband died, leaving her with two sons under the age of 5. I can imagine feelings of grief, fear, frustration, anger, and depression. But I haven’t been through a death like that myself, so I can’t truly understand. What is encouraging to me, however, is her statement on hope. I feel heartened by her ability to continue to make a new life for herself, raising her two sons (who are now 22 and 25) and finding happiness again. 


Prayer: Dear Lord, hope in you is what we all need. Encourage us to continue to hope in you, even when we struggle with grief, disappointment, pain. We know it won’t be easy, but we know that we can rely on Your strength. Let us continue to seek that hope and peace that you provide. Amen.


Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment