Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Fulfilling a Mission


The laying of hands upon one’s head during the ordination service of January 18, 1959, was a beginning for me as a layman when I said, “Yes, I will serve as an elder of Christ’s church,” not really realizing the great commission set forth the duties of this particular position. When one is selected for this duty, he’s blameless in life, sound of faith, should be a person of wisdom, and in everyday living, should be an example to the flock. The weight of all the hands upon my head said much to me at that moment, and the questions passed by quickly.  How can I do it? Why me, of all persons? Why should this take place early in life?

                
The answers to some of these questions and many others started to come to me from a young man studying at the time for the ministry. He said, “To begin with, it must be commitment, a personal certainty on the following things—pray, learn to worship, study the Bible, and seek friendship with persons who know God.”  He said it was like going swimming and not knowing really how, but jumping in anyway, for you are bound to make it. Well, every day since I have tried to live up to what it takes to be a Christian in this life. It has been through the strength of many who have been close to me that I have been blessed in many struggles. But there is not one to match our wonderful Lord, who is always near, if you only will ask. Because you see, those of us who go to Him in suffering know how real is His help.


If you ever have a challenge or are asked to serve as an elder, jump in. It is a real wonderful experience that will last forever.


God gives to the church persons varying in ability so that all parts of the work of the ministry may be done. Whatever our Lord calls each of us to do, it is our responsibility to help one another fulfill our mission.



Glen Engle (reprinted from the 1972 Eastridge Devotional Book)

No comments:

Post a Comment