Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, August 26, 2019

Angels Unaware

Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. Hebrews 13:1-2


When I was 13 years old I went with friends to the fair for the first time with NO PARENTS! We were having a great time – riding the rides, playing games, looking at boys until we rode one of the spinning rides and two of us got sick.  We were SO embarrassed, we had been so cool and now we were leaning over the garbage can hoping that no one saw us (especially not any cute boys). A young woman who was probably a student from UNL raced to our aid. She had napkins from concessions, a soda and half a roll of Tums from the bottom of her purse. She held our hair, helped us clean up, gave us a drink and shared the Tums with us and told us it was no big deal. Anytime I think of someone I am grateful to she pops up in my memories! A complete stranger who came to me when I thought I was older and more grown up than I was, who shared all she had and brushed it off as no big deal.    


In August Brian and I spent a weekend traveling to a few different concerts and one sporting event. The first performance that we went to was in Chicago and attendees were allowed to bring in a picnic, water, soft drinks, lawn chairs, blankets and games. Admittedly it was the first concert I have ever attended that you could bring in your own food and non-alcoholic drinks (I refuse to buy $5 water). A few minutes after we got settled into our spot the couple in front of us had a lawn chair completely fall apart. No one was harmed! This left the husband to sit in the remaining lawn chair and the wife to sit on the mat they brought and then to sit on her sweatshirt to give her a boost. She was very petite and slender so after a little discussion we offered her our cooler as a seat. It’s soft-sided so we weren’t sure how much support it would give her but it was better than a sweatshirt for a boost. They were completely shocked that strangers would be willing to help them (much as I was when I was a young teen). They had fun taking pictures of her on the cooler and she had a great view of the show the rest of the night. They were also delighted to meet someone from Nebraska! 


Reflecting on these experiences reminded me of this verse from Hebrews. I try hard to always be good to others. Obviously the stranger in my life has had a lasting impact on me and I am hopeful that I can have the same impact on strangers…. or, as Edgar Guest famously said, friends I haven’t met yet.


Prayer: God who watches all things, thank you for those who sweep in and save us, even when it is just from embarrassment.  Thank you for the moments when we have enough to share.  Help us to remember to offer our hospitality to all of your children, in all of the times we find one another in need.  

Christi Moock






No comments:

Post a Comment