Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, July 12, 2019

Think Deeply – Speak Gently – Love More

“Think over what I say, for the Lord will grant you understanding in all things.” 
2 Timothy 2:7
                    
“A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.” Proverbs 15:1
                       
“We love because he first loved us.” I John 4:19

A family member gave me a pair of decorative kitchen towels. Both towels display many butterflies. In addition, one towel’s words remind, “Think deeply” – “Speak gently” – and “Love more”.

“Think deeply” can involve being open to God’s word as we read Scripture. We can meditate on a phrase or a word, and listen for God’s message for us. It can involve being grateful for God’s blessings. We can study Scripture with one or more other persons. “Come, let us reason together.”  Isaiah 1:18.

“Speak gently” – can be hard when we are assaulted with angry words. As a teen-ager, my son served as a youth leader at a church camp. Arriving home after a week, the adult leader who served with him told me, “Your son is a gentle man.” I appreciated the comment. However, I knew my son, being human, was not always able to be a gentle man. II Timothy 24-25a states, “And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kindly to everyone, an apt teacher, patient, correcting opponents with gentleness.”

“Love more” –  How do we grow in our love for God and others?   “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” Luke 10:27. Often we spend our time on unimportant details rather than caring for persons and our world. “Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.” James 4:8. 

These simple words “Think deeply” –  “Speak gently” – “Love more” – help me focus on how I can listen for God’s direction. They can help me offer words of encouragement to those I meet along life’s path.

Prayer: God, you know how I am tempted to take the easy way and hurry past people who are searching for God’s love and attention.  Help me to listen for your encouragement. Amen.

Lois Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment