Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, July 30, 2019

A Thank You to Eastridge Volunteers


In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:16


Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you. Matthew 5:42


Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying; give without pay. Matthew 10:8


For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ Matthew 25:35-40


And the crowds asked him, “What then shall we do?” And he answered them, “Whoever has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and whoever has food is to do likewise.” Luke 3:10-11


Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Luke 12:33-34


“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you…” John 15:12


After reading through the scriptures above (my online search was: “scripture about helping others”), my thoughts about this devotion started to change. Instead of only writing it as a thank you to those of you who step up to volunteer in many ways here at church, I thought I’d also include (prompted by Luke 12:33-34) some insights from the Crossbound Lenten study that my Wednesday morning bible study did this year.


It’s difficult to imagine giving away ALL our possessions. In our Wednesday group, we’ve discussed how we can follow Christ by giving what we can…whether that’s our time, possessions, and/or financial help to those who need assistance.


I believe God will prompt us when He wants us to step up and do more in whatever situation is in front of us. And I believe that many of our Eastridge members do heed that prompt, and step up to help when we call on you. 


We are thankful for your volunteerism at Eastridge, and couldn’t be in ministry without you!


Prayer: Lord, thank you for volunteers. Remind me to show my appreciation when others reach out to me, my church, and my community. Show me where you would have me shine your light. Amen.


Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment