Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, July 8, 2019

Field of Weeds


For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18

The field in front of my house is not really a planted crop but the beauty of it is enchanting. 

There is a mixture of wild plants including large dandelion seedlings, milkweed, lead plant and much of what I am not sure of the names. There are butterflies and little yellow moths flittering over the top from flower to flower. The grasses are so tall that hidden inside you may see a rabbit, skunk or other small animal peek out from inside. Due to the many weather changes and other delays this grass field waits for the farmer to cut. But although it is wild and mostly weeds I find its many colors, textures, and hidden secrets a calming thing of beauty. I think I will feel saddened when it is gone. 

I find the field like the many weeds or non-expectant occurrences in my life that pop up and grow without my planning it, expecting it, or nurturing it can be a thing of beauty and have many hidden blessings. I find some events that happen in my life as a deterrent to what I am trying to accomplish. That people may step in and have demands on my time that I didn’t plan for, financial expenses that I didn’t plan for that cause me stress and delay reaching goals I set for myself. But like that field if I step back and look at the whole picture the beauty of the many blessings I have in my life I would not have if I had not taken the path set before me. 

Prayer: Dear Lord, remind me to step back more often to see the whole picture of my life. Remind me that it’s okay for me not to achieve every goal set in my timeline. Remind me to accept what is set before me and have patience to trust and count my blessings of what I have in my current life instead of always looking in the future.  Amen

Lori Hood


No comments:

Post a Comment