Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, July 29, 2019

Gloom and Joy


Depressing days put us all in the doldrums. The gloom outside only accentuates our bad mood. The continuing cloudiness is debilitating and puts us in a blue funk, that is not easily dispelled. The joy of one small beam of sunshine through the clouds buoys our spirits beyond measure and makes all of us realize God’s infinite greatness. His presence in that stream of light gives all the earth the lift it must have to grow. Flowers, trees, grass, our very souls need the reassurance of His being, and sunshine seems to exemplify what He means to me. Being outside in all that brightness and life does more for my spirits than all the vitamins the world could produce and gives me such a feeling of love and gratefulness for Him that my joy knows no bounds. I feel like flying. If only I could. Just to look around at all the wonders of the earth, just to be alive and thankful for all he has given me makes me a believer, once more, in His infinite wisdom and grace.

The earth exudes for me an effervescence quality. I want to shout or sing at the top of my lungs to release the exhilaration I feel.  

Prayer: Dear God, I wish there were some way to bottle these days, then pull the cork when we are so down that the tears flow for no reason. Help me to remember these days when gloom and depression take over my heart and mind!  


Elizabeth Evermann (reprinted from the 1972 Eastridge Devotional Book)


No comments:

Post a Comment