Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Humility


When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Proverbs 11:2 NIV

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 1 Peter 3:3-4 NIV

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 

I’m sharing a poem I wrote last year as my January devotion (shown along with photo below...click on photo to enlarge). As I read it again, I'm reminded that God is our great example of humility, that He continually shows us that we need to be humble as well. It’s interesting the situations that arise that can bring this to light. We become vulnerable when we share these moments in our life, and growth comes from allowing that vulnerability. Trust those in your life and bare your soul, and you may be surprised at the connection that results.

·        Just when we think we have a situation under control, God shows us that life isn’t predictable.

·        Parenting is often challenging, especially when our children surprise us in unpleasant ways.

·         A day goes along uneventfully, we take it for granted, and then chaos ensues.

And on and on. None of us are immune to finding ourselves in situations that leave us shaken, surprised, or depressed.

Just as sure as we aren’t alone in our struggle, God assures us He is with us as well…through the good and the bad, reminding us of our humanity.  

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for those situations that may be difficult, for they bring me closer to You. Help me to reach out to others who may be struggling, too. Remind us that we’re in this together. Thank you for your comfort and guidance. Amen.


Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment