Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, January 5, 2018

A Small Deed


Brothers and sisters, do not be weary in doing what is right.”   2 Thessalonians 3:13

“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17

As I read my morning devotion, the writer reminded how we can serve God by caring for others. The Thought for the Day: “I will do a small deed in God’s service today.” Since I planned to be home all day, I doubted I would have an opportunity to “do a small deed.”

A short while later, my phone rang. A relative, Sue* told me she had just received a phone call from her friend, Pat*, who was depressed over health issues. Pat had been notified that her physical therapy was no longer helping. There was no hope for improvement. In addition, in spite of regular injections in both eyes, Pat’s vision continued to deteriorate from macular degeneration. Pat knew she should no longer be driving, but she needed transportation to doctor appointments and the grocery store. Her income would not stretch far enough to take a cab. Sue hesitated to offer to take Pat to doctor appointments and the grocery store when winter weather could make that difficult.

Sue thought I might know of an agency that could offer low cost transportation, since I had volunteered for 28 years on a crisis and referral service. I suggested an agency that might know who to call. Sue called them. They gave her contact information for a service for visually impaired. She called and learned that they provide rides for $1.00 a trip through a cab company. She notified Pat who immediately called the agency.

Sue called me back to thank me for my help. I protested that it was really a small thing. Sue replied that it had made a big difference for Pat.

Then I remembered the Thought for the Day: “I will do a small deed in God’s service today.”

*Names have been changed.

PRAYER:  God, remind us to do your work and do good in response to your love for us. Amen.

Lois Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment