Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, January 22, 2018

Commitment or Resolution



For I know the plans I have for you, “declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off. Proverbs 23:18

As a child I remember New Year’s Eve as a very special family time. My parents would first let us stay up until midnight; it was a true time of celebration. It always felt like it was the beginning of a wondrous time- that continued from the Christmas celebration. I don’t remember all the activities that we did but it was definitely family time! We used the same noise makers for several years. One was a dancing pineapple that spun around in circles and played music (long before all the moving/animated toys of today); a banana riding a tricycle moving toy and my Chinese twirling drum with tiny bells that would hit the drums. My father would make us each a special drink to cheer in the New Year,  Seven-up with a little cherry flavoring, or coke with a little chocolate. They were served in Mom’s special event glasses and a straw was always included to top it off as an official cheer beverage. 

Now as the New Year’s Eve’s passing much more rapidly than in my childhood, I can’t say I have enjoyed them as much as I did in my childhood. In the last few years I have wondered how to bring the excitement and hope back into the event. I had found over the years that making new year resolutions was not much of an accomplishment because so many years I didn’t complete them. Did I not complete them because I didn’t really find it as important as I had, or was it because I chose the many common ones that others choose each year such as going on a diet, exercise more just to make a resolution?  I decided not to make resolutions for a few years.  

I now find that at the end of each year and beginning of the New Year I don’t make resolutions as I did, but I recommit myself to follow the path the Lord has set before me. I remind myself to be more thankful for the many blessings each day. This may include just the fact that He made a beautiful sky like a painting for me to see. The time I get to spend with family and friends. I opened my life to include new adventures for me such as writing these devotions which is something I had never done before. I was given the opportunity to volunteer in the church and other places to build new friendships. I find I am more committed to follow through not just through the New Year but throughout my lifetime. Each day I find myself with more blessings in recommitting myself to listen for His path or maybe His resolutions.

Prayer: Dear Lord, Open my eyes that I may see, Open my ears that I may hear, Open my senses that I may feel your glory. Open my heart that I may find the many blessings that you have prepared for me that I may miss. Thank you for each second, minute, hour and year that I am blessed to enjoy those around me and the life around me that you have provided. In Jesus name I pray Amen.
Lori Hood

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment