Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Honor Thy Mother and Father


Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. Exodus 20:12

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:4

 “Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6:38   
 
When I was younger I remember weekends were spent with my family driving  one hour each way to my father’s parents' house. We would spend weekends talking, helping and basically assisting in anything they needed help with. I remember doing a lot of dishes at my grandparents, but I also remember learning interesting facts like my grandfather never threw out his coffee grinds, banana peels and egg shells; he saved them in a coffee can by the sink to place around his rose bushes that he grew along their path from the sidewalk to their front door. My grandfather would talk with my Dad about stories from the past, current events (which I probably otherwise would not have had any interest in). When my grandparents moved from their farm to the small house in town, my uncles, aunts, cousins came to help build a workshop in the back from an old barn Grandpa had purchased to be moved in their backyard. 

I don’t remember much about the trip back home each weekend from my grandparents as many times I would fall asleep. One year I remember after one of them had suffered a heart attack, my Mother and brother each took a turn at staying with them to help. We all took on more chores at home so they could stay with them during their time of healing but it didn’t seem like anything exceptional at the time, just something you do.

And as I became an adult, I made the same journey many times to my parents' house. I wish I had more trips to make, from my grandparents to my parents those visits were filled with the wonderful memories and stories of their lives. Those memories are cherished memories.

I wonder if we are missing that in our society today; do we take the time to help, learn and grow with our elders? Do we find them too slow in completing a task so we don’t bother to assist? Do we help those that need assistance that are still trying to live in their homes, or do we figure they should be pushed aside in a nursing home for others to help?  Are we too busy in our lives with kids, activities, and our own interests to take the time to visit or help them?  

Prayer: Dear Father in Heaven, Please help us to look after our elders in whatever small tasks they need. Help us to see the gifts we receive from helping others, the memories, friendships and love that grows within us to then give out to others making the circle of love complete. Help us to open our eyes to see those around us that need our help. Help us to remember to honor our elders as you command. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.
Lori Hood

 

No comments:

Post a Comment