Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, August 19, 2022

Unchanging

For I am the Lord, I change not. Malachi 3:6a

I worked for a while with a group of mentally ill women. The room in which we spent the most time was windowless and dark, very dreary, I thought. In an effort to bring some light into the room, I covered the dark, old tables with white paper. Just as I was finishing and congratulating myself on the new brightness, one of the women came in and said, “You put paper on the tables.” I said, “Yes, do you like it?” “No!” she said, “Take it off.” I was mystified. “Why?” I asked. “Well, she said, it’s change and I don’t like change.”

I began to understand that day how very much we are all alike. In our world filled with confusion and turmoil, we long for something to remain constant—something unchangeable. We need look only as far as the Bible. “I am the Lord, I change not.”

He was in the beginning, and he is today, and He will be at the end. If we can but make Him the stable center of our lives, we don’t need to fear “paper on our tables.”

Prayer: Dear and Changeless Father, increase our trust in your constant love and use us as you will.  Amen 

Deb Kilian (reprinted from Eastridge Devotion book, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment