Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, August 8, 2022

Old Coffee Cans

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16  

Around Memorial Day, I often have the remembrance of my family putting together garden flowers like lilacs, peonies, tulips, and snowballs, and arranging them in old coffee cans covered with aluminum foil. We would then put a little water in the cans and head out to the cemeteries and the relative’s graves. The cans of flowers were perfect to set up by the tombstones. Another coffee can was used to haul water from nearby spickets to finish the water supplies in the cans of flowers—that was my job. The coffee can served other multiple purposes in my home. My mother carefully packed cookies in a coffee can for my dad to take on his long haul trips as a truck driver. My dad used the cans to sort nails and tools at his work bench. He also kept rags and used paint brushes in the cans. My dad had started an earthworm business for fishermen, and I frequently packed a dozen big worms in a coffee can with moist dirt. Even the girl scouts used the coffee cans tied to trees to wash their hands.  I do not have a single coffee can in my house anymore as I don’t drink coffee, but the smell of coffee and the coffee can always give me warm feelings.

Similar feelings occur when I remember scriptures that I memorized in Bible school, Sunday School, and confirmation class. Scriptures like John 3:16, 1 Corinthians 13, Psalms 100, and many others. I am so thankful to my church teachers for helping give me these gifts which are available anytime I need them. I smile whenever I hear “Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord my strength and my Redeemer.” We ended every Sunday School class in the 5th grade with those words. These scriptures remind me of my beliefs, the creator God I trust in, Jesus his son, and the promise of believers in grace, forgiveness, and life evermore.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for my pleasant memories of my family and their love. Thank you  for your Holy Spirit and your assuring words from the Bible. Remind us all that our lives have been a huge investment from other Christians in learning about you, believing in you, and accepting you as our Lord and Savior. Amen.

Nancy Hall (reprinted from 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment