Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Have a Grateful Heart!

“Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe”. Hebrews 12:28

“Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16 

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

I love reading these three verses Paul penned as he wrote to early Christians about how to live in the love of Christ. We have been given an unshakable foundation, unconditional and everlasting love and mercy. We should pray always with thanksgiving to God even as we petition Him for our ongoing needs and concerns.

It is by being grateful for all we have been given and by trusting God for guidance that we will experience true peace.  

At one point in time I was given a gratitude journal. It always surprised me how many entries I could come up with on any given day. The word gratitude itself is derived from the Latin word, gratus meaning pleasing, thankful. 

The journal is no longer a daily task and as I get older, I realize it is all about attitude. I choose my attitude daily and many times during any given day. I choose to have a grateful heart, count my blessings and thank God daily. It does not mean I do not get irritated that I had an unpleasant encounter with a loved one or that I am not annoyed that the microwave is broken. But I can move on and be thankful for all my many other blessings and bring a kind and generous attitude in my interactions with others. 

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for the unshakable foundation you have given us and for your never-ending love and mercy. Guide us to have grateful, thankful hearts and fully embrace your love and pass it on to others.

Connie Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment