Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, August 15, 2022

Empathy

To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; 1 Peter 3:8

Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you. Ephesians 4:32

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. Matthew 5:7

I recall reading an essay in National Geographic magazine for the year 2020: “Embracing a history with photograph”. Ruddy Roye’s first assignment as a photographer for Nat Geo was to photograph people who donated artifacts to the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C. He recalls the difficulty of the assignment, as many of these artifacts came with “painful stories, and the items’ faithful guardians were now aged and infirm”. There was also a gratitude that he felt, being entrusted to tell the stories of those who have a part of a heartbreaking history for African Americans.

I’m currently reading a novel set pre-Civil War era. The author’s characterizations are so fantastic that I find myself anxiously turning the pages to find out how it all plays out…and to remind myself it's "just" fiction (albeit depicting events that could have happened)*. I have heard many times that reading fiction cultivates empathy, and I believe that's true!

When we lose ourselves in others' stories, we increase our capacity for empathy and compassion. Empathy, defined by Merriam-Webster, is the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner.

Empathy isn't only something we may struggle to experience when interacting with those who have different life experiences than we do...sometimes it's hard to relate to those close to us or similar to us. Often our own egos get in the way. Perhaps a frequent prayer that God opens our eyes, ears, and hearts to those around us.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to put myself in other people’s shoes by trying to understand where they come from. Help me to not make judgements based on how I feel, but rather what they have chosen to share with me. Help me to look for truth and exhibit humanity in this world. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

*(Horse by Geraldine Brooks)

No comments:

Post a Comment