Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, November 16, 2020

Wild Lament into Whirling Dance

You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O Lord, my God, I will give you thanks forever. Psalm 30:11-12

I can so relate to these words, and to the message of these verses from my NIV Parallel Bible: “You did it: You changed wild lament into whirling dance; You ripped off my black mourning band and decked me with wildflowers. I’m about to burst with song; I can’t keep quiet about you God, my God, I cannot thank you enough.”

On Nov. 7th, 2019 I suffered a cardiac arrest near my home. Steve and I were returning from a state volleyball game and dinner out. Steve, in a remarkably brilliant move, drove me to the fire station five blocks away where I was revived for the first time. I also needed to be revived on the way to the Heart Hospital in the ambulance. I was literally without a heartbeat for over 30 minutes all together. I was placed in a medically induced coma for four days and my family and friends prayed hard with Pastor Melodie that I would live and that my brain would not be damaged. Their prayers were answered! I am here a year later with my same brain capacity and feel that I was given several miracles.

We did discover months later that part of my colon died when it was deprived of oxygen. That was recently repaired and by the end of summer of 2020, I was completely well, adjusting to just a few very manageable new normals.

I am not aware of what personal hardship David was recovering from, but I can identify with his words of gratitude and thanksgiving to God for “changing his wild lament”. I recently wrote a letter to the firemen who saved my life and shared with them that I feel beyond blessed and that I intend to live my life with gratitude and joy. I want to help others whenever I can and continue to praise and thank God daily.

It has been a long journey to recovery. I was in active heart failure the seven months prior to my crash and burn so I have had cardiac rehab as an in-patient, in home rehab, and outpatient rehab, which I am still participating in. I have had phenomenal medical and rehab care. I have so much to thank God for. My family, friend, and church support was remarkable!

Prayer: Father God, I thank you for the miracles that I received, for your constant love; and for the Hope and Joy that I was always able to find in you during my  long illness. May we all praise and thank you daily for your unwavering love and mercy. We can’t thank you enough for all our many Blessings!

Connie Barry

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you, Connie, and the deepening of your faith and resolve through this experience!

    ReplyDelete