Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, November 12, 2020

Give Thanks

I saw a posting the other day that has stuck with me: “When you get what you want, that’s God’s direction, when you don’t get what you want, that’s God’s protection.” 

So many times I tell myself I know what I want and many times convince myself it’s what I need which really is two different things. The temptation of having what we think we need is so strong sometimes we pursue the goal of getting it. Many times once we have what we thought we wanted or needed so badly becomes a burden, and doesn’t seem like such a necessity after we have possession of it.  We then have the burden of getting rid of it by either selling, donating or throwing it away which then we carry that thought of “why did I think I needed it?"

Remember the last new phone you had to have, the new curtains for the living room, new carpet, car, book, or even a relationship with someone you thought you needed in your life. Doesn’t really matter what the desire is, it’s the idea of have we forgotten everything we already have and are blessed with? Now I know there are those that are in need of basic necessities of food, water, and shelter. I am talking about those who already have the basics but take that for granted. It’s time to thank God for the roof over your head, the food in your belly, the warmth of the fire and the love of friends and family. It’s time to thank God for waking us up each day with the array of beauty in the sky and ground. 

“Rejoice always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” Thessalonians 5:16-18

Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment