Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Seasons

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55: 8-11

After 30 years working in Infection Prevention and safety in one acute care hospital, I became restless and dissatisfied, but at the same time, I had deep roots and strong commitment and I’m not big on change.  I wrestled and prayed for a year.  “God, open my eyes, show me the way, open a door or close a door…”  Then a door opened and I walked through it and made the change into what I thought would be the last job of my career. It was as a Nurse Educator in long term care; a big change from the role I’d been in. I put my whole heart into the new job, but it wasn’t a good fit, and after nine months I was open to a call requesting I take a new position with my old employer. 

I agonized over the decision again. “I’m not a quitter.”  “Maybe I just need to try harder.”  “How could I disappoint those who had hired me?”  I felt God had led me to this position, so how could I let Him down. Jon weighed in, saying, “Sometimes we are called for a season, rather than a lifetime.  This new position seems like the work you were made for.  Maybe you were called to this position for just ten months.”   There have been many times during the past 9 months, as I work as the Division lead for Infection Prevention during a pandemic, that I have thought about this sequence of events and am amazed at God’s hand.  While I work with acute care facilities and teams, I frequently interface with the long-term care world.  My dad is in a long-term care setting.  I realize now, in hindsight, how important that short season is to me in this new season.

God’s hand is frequently visible only in the rear-view mirror.

Prayer:  Dear Lord, I thank you for your guiding hand throughout my life, even when I didn’t understand it at the time.  I thank you for all the ways you In this current season, you are at work in so many ways that we may never understand.  I thank you that even when I’m not good at hearing and trusting, you don’t give up on me.  Amen

Lori Snyder-Sloan

No comments:

Post a Comment