Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Invest in Others

Recently I read a devotion in the Upper Room publication (Eastridge has some available in our Welcome Center) about investing in others.  The writer bases his devotion on this scripture: Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16.

He speaks about connecting with others and becoming interested in what they are interested in so that they may, in turn, “consider anything I would say or do.”  He affirms: “the good news of Jesus spreads first by embracing the lives of others”.

I think that we can take this even further by being tolerant of others’ views. In our social-media driven world, our differences are amplified and discussed at length. We don’t have to agree with everyone to show respect and consideration.

When I write devotions, I usually ask my search engine to help me find specific scripture, like, in this case: “scripture on showing God’s love to others”. This time, I accidentally left out the word “scripture” and the first site that came up was someone’s blog listing “9 ways to show kindness to others” (Christina Tiplea). Thinking this was perhaps no coincidence, I’ve decided to include some here. Tolerance can become kindness which can become invested interest in those around us.

1. Smile and say “hello” or “good morning” to a stranger walking down the street

2. Leave a kind note for someone you love

3. Pass along a wonderful book you’ve finished reading

4. Bring a meal to new parents* 

5. Give praise to others whenever possible

6. Always stop at the lemonade stand*

7. Create a care package for someone feeling under the weather*

*Perhaps these suggestions will be useful in a non-pandemic time

To paraphrase the prayer shared by the devotion writer I referred to earlier: let’s reach into the lives of others to reflect to them the light of God’s love.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to love those in my midst (even my online midst) who have differing views than my own. Help me to understand and recognize that we are all more alike than different. Help me to show your light and love to those with whom I come into contact. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment