Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, May 11, 2020

Today Is the Day

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34 (NIV)

Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes. Matthew 6:34 (The Message)

There’s a song called “Today Is the Day” by Lincoln Brewster that includes the following lyrics:  "I’m casting my cares aside, I’m leaving my past behind, I’m setting my heart and mind on You Jesus.  I’m reaching my hand to Yours, Believing there’s so much more, Knowing that all You have in store for me is good. Today is the day You have made, I will rejoice and be glad in it; And I won’t worry about tomorrow, I’m trusting in what You say. Today is the day."

The song has struck a chord (no pun intended) with me in the past. But I reread it in light of the current crisis.  Especially the phrase, "I won't worry about tomorrow." I have to admit that I’ve spent a lot of time in the past worrying.  Usually it's about things that I have no control over anyway, so the worrying is not a good use of my time. Like the weather. Or it may be something I have at least some control over; like how I should use my money. And sometimes it's something that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things; like what to wear to a special event. 

I’ve found myself spending a lot of time worrying lately, as many of us have.  I think it’s natural to vacillate between being anxious about the future and feeling that everything is going to be okay. I need to work on trusting in what God has to say and in setting my mind and heart on Jesus. God has made the day and everything in it, and He watches over me at all times. All He has in store for me is good.  As the scripture states, tomorrow will worry about itself.  

Prayer: Dear Lord, It's a scary time for everyone. We don’t know what the future holds. But it doesn't help to worry. The Lord has made each day, and we need to rejoice and be glad in it. God is in control and will handle our worries if we simply turn them over to him. Please forgive us for thinking we can handle everything ourselves and for wasting time worrying about the future. Help us to cast our cares aside and reach our hands to yours. Amen.

Robin Hadfield




No comments:

Post a Comment