Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, May 1, 2020

In Memory


The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
     He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
     he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
    for his name’s sake.


Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
    I fear no evil;
for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff—
    they comfort me.


You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    my whole life long.                                               Psalm 23 (NRSV)



The Twenty Third Psalm is often looked to for comfort.  And we all need comforting in these strange days, especially when we lose someone.  It’s difficult when someone who had an impact on your life passes away.  Whether it’s a parent, teacher, minister, or friend, memories come flooding back.  I’ve been remembering Mary Jane Huxtable-Koch, who passed away the day after Easter.  Mary Jane was the wife of the founding pastor of Eastridge, Rev. Tom Huxtable.  My parents joined the church when I was a toddler, so Tom and Mary Jane are a part of many of my memories.  Mary Jane is one of only a few non-family members who have known me most of my life.  To me, Eastridge and Mary Jane are synonymous because she was involved in every aspect of the church.  I remember her as the director of the children’s choir for many years.  Later, she directed the bell choir in its early days.  I took piano lessons from her.  The four Huxtable children were around my age and were active in Sunday school and youth groups with me.  After Tom passed away, Mary Jane remained an active member of Eastridge. 

My thoughts and prayers are with the entire Huxtable family, as well as with other Eastridge members who have fond memories of Mary Jane.  We know that Tom and a host of previous Eastridge members greeted her when she arrived. 

Prayer: Dear Lord,  You lead us beside still waters and are with us when we walk through dark valleys.  You are with us always and comfort us.  Your goodness and mercy follow us.  We look forward to dwelling in your house forever.  We thank you for the life of Mary Jane Huxtable-Koch and ask you to watch over her.

Robin Hadfield


No comments:

Post a Comment