Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Prayer Life

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Romans 8:26

Call to me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3

Then he spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart. Luke 18:1

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrews 4:16

For you, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in mercy to all those who call upon you. In the day if my trouble I will call upon You, for You will answer me. Psalm 85:5, 7

Pray without ceasing. In everything giving thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18

My last year of serious heart issues, marked by the need for trust in and patience with medical care, setbacks, and unforeseen trials; has found me desperate to pray, yet very much lacking any structure to do so. I was often more desperate than guided. 

While I am now making good strides in my recovery, I have developed some serious digestive issues which are impeding my ability to gain weight and strength. Then came the Pandemic, the spread of a deadly disease, which filled our nation and world with economic and health turmoil and much fear and anxiety. 

And I still was floundering in my prayer life. Unexpected help came from our very own Reverend John Duling who shared that he begins his daily prayer with confessing his sins.

Direction, guidance!  Thank you John, God, and the Holy Spirit for starting me on a structure that feels so good. God, whose Son suffered and died to forgive our sins and earn Salvation for us, can use His Unending mercy to forgive my daily mistakes, sins, shortcomings. He can help me with self awareness, honesty, and personal growth, like no other source of help can.  

I was on my way but decided I needed to turn to the ultimate source of guidance available to me always, God’s Word. The above verses presented me with new purposes for my prayers. I decided thanks was next in line and began to commit to thanking God for different Blessings daily. I am so Blessed! So, in Everything give thanks!

Of course, I was already very good about petitioning for help. I began to focus more on trusting and not losing heart. I am trying to give my needs to God and lose some of my control.  (That’s a life long process!). 

Listening is also now part of my prayer life, often extending throughout my day. I don’t want to miss out on the great and mighty things God has to show me. And, I want to know Him and focus on a commitment to a growing, intimate relationship with Him.

And, when I am lost again and so overwhelmed that I cannot formulate my own prayers, I know that the Holy Spirit will take over for me.

My desire for structure and routine has now made its way into my prayer life. It is a process which means it will evolve and change just as life does. And some days I will do better than on other days.

Prayer: Father God, we long for daily time with you to seek your mercy and forgiveness for our shortcomings and to listen for your guidance. We want to always thank you for our many blessings and continue to ask for your help with situations and for those we love who are suffering. Guide us to continue to turn to you daily and grow in our relationship with you. 

Connie Barry 

No comments:

Post a Comment