Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Praise in Song

The Lord is my strength and my song, and he has become my salvation; this is my God, and I will praise him, my father’s God, and I will exalt him.  Exodus 15:2

Recollections of my mother inevitably involve singing. Chores at home were nearly always accompanied by the humming of some tune. Long car trips with restless children were made tolerable with countless renditions of “Down in the Valley” and “I See the Moon, The Moon Sees Me.” No matter where I sat in my hometown sanctuary, it was easy to pick out my mother’s voice in song. Mom’s singing voice once prompted the pastor and choir director of that small Iowa congregation to tell the story of a famous opera singer who was asked at a social function to sing for the attendees. He provided a beautiful performance of “The Lord’s Prayer.”  All present expressed great admiration for his voice and the performance. Later an older woman joined the group and was also asked to share a song. Completely unaware of the professional singer’s earlier performance, she selected exactly the same piece. Although her voice was far from the professionally trained musician’s, her offering left the group speechless and some near tears.  Several listeners, apprehensive that the famous singer might take offense at being outdone, were surprised by his response to their apologetic expressions. “It’s OK,” he said. “She knows the composer.”

Prayer: Like Moses, we often hesitate, literally or figuratively, to sing with full voice, believing that we will not measure up to the talents of others. Help us to know you as the composer of all and to respond in ways that will share the music of your love with those around us. Amen

Alinda Stelk (reprinted from the Eastridge Daily Devotion book, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment