Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, October 21, 2019

Aunt Nancy


Where is the wise person?  Where is the teacher of the law?  Where is the philosopher of this age?  Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?  For since in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.  For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks ask for wisdom.  Corinthians 1:20-22  


We are approaching a year since the unexpected loss of my husband’s aunt.  Aunt Nancy was an amazing and interesting woman and I think of her often.  This week driving home from work I saw a quote from Pierre Teilhard de Chardin that I don’t think I have ever seen before, and it immediately made me think of Aunt Nancy.  The quote was “we are not human beings having a spiritual experience but are spiritual beings having a human experience”.  


I have spent hours this week thinking about this quote, what it means to me, what it might have meant to Aunt Nancy.  You see, Nancy explored all religions at different points in her life.  She is easily one of the most spiritual people I have ever had the pleasure to know.  She was raised in one faith, but tried many on for size… Catholicism, Hinduism, Disciples of Christ, Unitarian Universalist, non-denominational, Buddhism.  She meditated, she performed yoga, she read extensively about spirituality and relationships with a supreme being.  She was always curious about world religions, about other faiths and belief systems, and I never heard her say that one religion or belief was superior to others.  She truly believed that there was room in our human experience for all types of faith.  


Nancy was a spiritual being, who endured a human experience. Sometimes she followed the path selected by her parents – for acceptance.   Sometimes she followed her own sense of adventure – for self-pleasure.  Sometimes she tried to fit into the role of wife – for love. Sometimes she gave up and waited for a sign from something bigger than herself – for faith. Sometimes she let other people make the path and she stopped and experienced it in different ways.   


Aunt Nancy taught me a lot about making decisions that were right for myself.  Even if they weren’t popular. She loved deeply. She was fascinated by the world around her and the world beyond, and she was never afraid to look at possibilities that may have been rejected by others. She knew herself better than anyone I have ever known, and I expect that I will miss her, and the lessons that she shared, for the rest of my life.  


Prayer: All seeing God, thank you for sharing your children with us. Thank you for creating a world where we can explore and learn.  Be with us during our human experience. Help us to care for one another.  Amen.  


Christi Moock

No comments:

Post a Comment