Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

I'll Try

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13 (NIV).

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand Isaiah 41:10 (NIV).

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,  because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything James 1:2-4 (NIV).

When the preschoolers I work with struggle with their zippers, they whine, “I can't!” So I encourage them to instead say, “I'll try”. I remind them of the story of The Little Engine that Could. He didn't say “I can't”, even though the hill looked big and he was small. He said “I think I can, I think I can!” and gave it his all! Finally, he made it to the top and said, “I thought I could, I thought I could!” So while the preschoolers work on their zippers, we softly chant, “I think I can, I think I can!” And when they finally succeed, I exclaim, “I knew you could, I knew you could!”

Perhaps I should keep this story in mind as I pray about taking on a new challenge that God is calling me to at church.  In the past, any time I've heard words like “lead” or “organize”, I've immediately backed away. Those ways of serving are unfamiliar to me--definitely not my gifts. I'd much rather do something I know I'm good at. I like to keep my life simple...and avoid stress as much as possible. The problem is, I think I might be doing the same thing as my preschoolers. By refusing to take on challenges, it's like I'm also whining, “I can't!”  I'm forgetting that if God calls me to do something, He'll be with me every step of the way...strengthening me, encouraging me, helping me learn and grow.

As I sit at the bottom of that huge hill ahead, wondering how someone so small could climb it, I need to tell God, “I'll try...with your help.” Then, remembering all that He has done, and trusting in all that he will do, I'll chug ahead--softly chanting, “I think I can, I think I can!”  It won't always be an easy climb, but as I feel God's power pushing me along, my confidence will grow.  And when I reach the top of the hill, God will exclaim, “I knew you could, I knew you could!”  You see, I'm learning that every time I conquer a challenge with God, my faith is strengthened. And that's just what I need to face the many other hills left to climb on my life's journey.

Prayer: All-Powerful and Encouraging Lord, forgive us for saying “I can't!” when you call us to do something challenging. Please give us the courage to say, “I'll try” and trust in the help you'll provide. And thank you for the opportunities you give us to be a blessing to others...and strengthen our faith in the process. Amen.

Sharon Irvin


No comments:

Post a Comment