Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, October 24, 2019

The Perfect Equation

So that we may boldly say, “The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me”. Hebrews 13:6

For most of my adult life, I’ve had difficulty solving problems which fall under a category I jokingly call the “Three M’s” – math, mechanics and manual labor. Perhaps it is one of those problems psychologists refer to as right-brain versus left-brain dominance.

Luckily, my husband of nearly 40 years excelled in “Three M” problems. So for the better part of my life, our division of labor regarding household chores worked well and things went along quite smoothly. However, as a widow, I find myself needing to solve lots of “Three M” problems – dealing with finances, learning to operate lawn care equipment and doing chores that require a certain amount of physical strength. Finding the right solution when things go wrong can be both difficult and frustrating.

Just at the peak of a very frustrating problem, I received a list of “Christian One-Liners” via email. The “one-liner” that seemed to catch my attention was entitled, The Perfect Equation: “ 1 cross +3 nails = 4 given.” Reading that equation made finding solutions to all the “Three M” problems I’ve been struggling with pale in comparison. It was then that I realized I needed help, and help was just a prayer away.

A few days after turning this problem over to the Lord, I was having lunch with a friend. Though she was unaware of my difficulty, she started talking about a similar problem in her own life, and in the course of our conversation she mentioned the name of someone she had consulted. Shortly thereafter my situation was resolved.

Prayer: Thank you, Father, for putting our lives into perspective and for being there as we struggle. Most especially thank you for sending Your son, Jesus, the perfect solution in every equation. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen

Judith Welch (reprinted from 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment