Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, September 15, 2017

Waiting before Working


Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 

 
The “Jesus Calling” devotion book by Sarah Young sits on our bathroom counter.  I read the devotion during my morning routine, somewhere around putting on the moisturizer or drying my hair.   Her August 29 devotion has stuck with me:

“Demonstrate your trust in me by sitting quietly in My Presence.  Put aside all that is waiting to be done, and refuse to worry about anything. This sacred time together strengths you and prepares you to face whatever the day will bring.  …When you spend time with me, I restore your sense of direction.”
 

Ouch!  So reading, pondering and talking to God about the devotion in the midst of my morning routine is probably good, but I think God wants my full attention before I even begin my day.  I need to work on that.  Being a morning person, I usually say a quick “Good Morning Lord” before heading to the shower and going over the day’s list of things to do.  Reading the devotion falls somewhere in the middle.


During an extremely overloaded time at work, I began praying “What project is next Lord?” He would answer that prayer with what needed to be done at that moment.  I kept asking that question all day long and He was faithful in answering all of them.
 

Prayer:  Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for always waiting on me to call your name.  I  want to be close to you but so often do not stop long enough to enjoy a conversation with you, only a quick thank you or short prayer.  You feel just like I do as a parent when I cherish a small quick conversation or visit with my children.  Forgive me. 

“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23).

Amen.

 
Cathy Schapmann

No comments:

Post a Comment