Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Sermon notes: Brueggemann, August 20


Karl Barth once said something along the lines of, “ the preacher should hold the Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other.”  Well, I’ve been reading the newspaper (or the app), and I’ve been watching tv, and, yes, I’ve even broken my own self imposed rule and peeked at Facebook.  And while I could certainly bring forward lots of different headlines this morning, I do believe that each of these headlines has affected us in different ways. 

So I’d like to do something a little different today. 

I want to invite you to close your eyes, and think about this past week.  Think about what it has been for you.  The headlines are many, from Charlottesville, to the first day of school, to house explosion, to Barcelona, to Steve Bannon, to refugees, to bank accounts. 

What’s your headline?

Our theologian today is Walter Brueggemann.  As you may have noticed, or read, Brueggemann is one of those theologians who is actually still alive.  He’s not a dead white guy.  No, he in fact, is still just as active in speaking engagements around the country and the world as he ever was, maybe even more so since his recent retirement from Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, Georgia.  Brueggemann is easily recognized as the world’s foremost Old Testament Scholar.  This guy literally wrote the book, the textbook, about the Old Testament.  He has written well over 100 books, countless essays and articles, and has spoken in churches of almost every denomination (and non-denomination).  And – he’s from Nebraska.

Really.  He’s from Tilden, Nebraska, in Madison County.  At his core, he’s just like you and me.  A farmer at heart, connected to the land and the earth and seasons.  I actually met Brueggeman when I was in seminary, as he came to give a series of lectures that eventually became his book, Ichabod Toward Home.  One of my several jobs while I was in seminary was to drive the seminary van to the airport to pick up dignitaries and guests of the seminary.  When I drew Brueggeman’s name, I jumped internally with joy.  For those of us at Princeton, he was, among other things, known for being the brother-in-law to our Old Testament scholar, Patrick Miller; and – they, together, were known for being as close as brothers.  They loved God, loved their families, loved the Bible, and loved the World Wrestling Federation.  Not only did I get to have a conversation with Brueggemann, I was invited into the Millers house for coffee and cookies when I brought their guest to them.  For the better part of an hour, I forgot my studies and listened to these two brilliant men talk about life, God, and…wrestling.

            And here’s what I learned…

            That the great question for Walter Brueggmann is this:  does the Bible have anything to say to God’s people today? 

            At the time, it was a largely theoretical question.  It was February of 2001, and I lived in a snowy, idyllic world of an Ivy League town. 

            But – I doubt the conversation would have come to any different conclusion had it happened just 7 months later, after September 11, when that same town and community was covered with smoke and ash.

Yes, yes it does.
In fact, the argument went, when we study the Bible during times of uncertainty, trauma, and injustice, that we discover just how relevant it is.

Barth again – the Bible in one hand, newspaper in the other.

Back to those headlines, and how they make us feel.

It was Wednesday before I really got around to researching what happened in Charlottesville.  I’ve been busy.  With the Big Event All-nighter, family celebrations, the beginning of school, the house explosion, and various other daily tasks and worries, I just didn’t get around to it.  (That’s horrible to admit, but it’s the truth).  When I did, I entered an abyss.  Not necessarily because of Charlottesville.  But because of all of it.  All of it together.  And I did.  I cried.  I sat in my office and I cried.  I cried because I am grateful for you, to be in this place, to be able to send my children to one of the finest school systems in the country, to be able to open our hearts to refugees, to be able to worship freely.  I cried because I am a woman, and therefore a minority.  I have experienced prejudice, not being considered or hired for a job, or having been paid less, or treated differently.  I cried because I am white, educated, and privileged.  And even while I feel I have worked hard for these things, I also know that I have benefited from a system that has allowed me to benefit from these systems.  I cried because…

Jesus wept.  It’s okay to cry. 

It is in these moments that the realization that the world is a broken and unjust place breaks into the every day reality and business of our lives.  Most of the time, most of us fall into what Brueggemann calls the “royal consciousness,” and defines as “achievable satiation.”  Or, when you have the power to be able to arrange your life in such a way that you believe you have the power and control to arrange your life.  Contentment.  Satiation.  Freedom.  For us, it means nice houses with meaningful work, money in the bank, and food in our stomachs.  Cars that start every time, and good grades.  When we love our lifestyle more than we love the giver of life, that is the royal consciousness. 

It’s not sustainable.  That kind of satiated life.  It will come to an end.

It is then, when we are able to accept the reality of the ending that we are pushed to imagine a new beginning, or what Brueggemann calls an “alternative consciousness.”  A new picture.  A new vision.  A new reality. 

First we must say good-bye to the old reality.  And mourn its loss.

For the slaves in Egypt, it meant 40 years of wandering in the desert to understand that gathering manna daily was better than working in the Pharoah’s storehouses.

For King Solomon, it meant acknowledging that the ornate extravagance of the temple actually distanced God from God’s nation.

For the prophet Jeremiah, it meant “articulating the grief” the King worked so hard to deny – the hunger of the people, the lawlessness of the people, the indentured servitude of the Babylonian King – by breaking pottery and enduring physical suffering. 

When endings and death become our reality, we weep.  “Tears are a way of solidarity in pain when no other form of solidarity remains.”

“I used to think it curious that when having to quote scripture on demand someone would inevitably say, “Jesus wept.”  But now I understand,” Brueggemann says.  “Jesus knew what we numb ones must always learn again:  (a) that weeping must be real because endings are real and (b) that weeping permits newness.”[1]

The reality of death will always break in.  Just as it did when Lazarus died, and Jesus cried.  The reality of death, of endings, will break in.  And when it does, we weep. 

The task of the prophet is to address the ending of the royal consciousness even while drawing attention to the vision of the new life offered to us.  He calls it an alternative consciousness, an awareness that there is something more, a longing inside of us that cannot be filled by anything other than God.

            Resurrection hope.  That’s what he says we need. 

            And I feel it. 

I feel the despair and hopelessness of the women at the tomb, and the two on the road to Emmaus.  The confusion about the ending they’ve just witnessed and the grief they still experience.  They are in the midst of it.  “The wrenching of Friday had left only the despair of Saturday and there was no reason to expect Sunday after that Friday.  There is not any way to explain the resurrection out of the previously existing reality.  The resurrection can only be received and affirmed and celebrated as the new action of God whose province it is to create new futures for people and to let them be amazed in the midst of despair.”[2]

Friends, our God is a God who is speaking this truth to us, even today, now, at this moment.  In the words of the prophet Isaiah:

“Do not remember the former things,

   or consider the things of old.

I am about to do a new thing;

   now it springs forth, do you not perceive it?”

 
 
This is the new reality for us, as Christians.  It is how we deal with the headlines in the news.  We look to Jesus Christ, and the new reality that God is creating an alternate way.  It does not have to be like this.  But we cannot continue living as though everything is okay.  We must live as though the alternative reality of new life in Jesus Christ is already here.  We must acknowledge the pain, sin, and injustice of the world.  We must then be motivated, energized, to offer a picture of what that new life looks like.  We must do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with our God. 














[1] Walter Brueggemann, The Prophetic Imagination, pg 60-61.


[2] Ibid, pg 106-107.

No comments:

Post a Comment