Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Wandering Heart: "I'm fixed upon it": Commentary

Read Matthew 16:21-23 | Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22

Commentary | Dr. Terence Lester

It was one of the toughest nights in my life. I had just received the “Humanitarian of the Year” award from the National Urban League of Greater Atlanta for the work we do with Love Beyond Walls. The evening had ended around 11 p.m. after a celebration with friends. As we left, I casually said, “I’ll talk to you later. Be safe!” Little did I know how ironic those words would soon become. My wife Cecilia drove, and I went to sleep. Ten minutes later, I was jolted upright by Cecilia’s screams. We had narrowly escaped a car accident.

The car in front of us had come to an abrupt stop. The driver had become distracted by a child vomiting in the back seat and hit the brakes. Airbags deployed, and then I was on the ground. The impact of the airbag had driven me back into my seat and broken it. Moments later, the EMTs arrived and rushed me to hospital. The pain was indescribable. I discovered that my right hip and pelvis were fractured, and I suffered nerve damage. Emergency surgery followed to place a ten-pound rod in my leg to prevent it from crushing a vital artery.

It was a whirlwind of events. I had gone to receive an award and I ended up in hospital. Previously, I had found worth in my work and believed that God was with me. That belief came crashing down in a single, devastating moment that left me grappling with my faith. Have you ever experienced something like this, where life shatters and makes you question everything? We, too, can encounter upheaval and crisis, and our hearts may wander as we seek answers and meaning.

As I reflect on my journey, I’m reminded of a pivotal moment for Peter. Peter has just declared that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of the living God—a mountaintop experience of unwavering faith. Yet, he immediately faces a reality that challenges his understanding of Jesus and faith itself. Jesus reveals the difficult path ahead—suffering, crucifixion, and resurrection. It seems incongruent with Peter’s vision of a triumphant Messiah who would establish an earthly kingdom. Peter instinctively seeks to avoid the hardship, grief, and struggle. This leads to a rebuke from Jesus: “Get behind me, Satan!” It’s a sharp reminder that sometimes our well-intentioned desires to protect and preserve can become stumbling blocks to fulfilling our calling.

Peter’s faith journey, like my own, reminds us that faith doesn’t always shield us from hardship. As we reflect on Peter’s journey and the challenges of our own faith, let us remember that unraveling can lead to profound growth. Like Peter, we may have to face inconvenient truths and drop our preconceived notions. Jesus’ response to Peter reminds us of the importance of our commitment to God’s mission, even when it’s difficult. May we learn from Peter and embrace the transformative power of faith.

Sometimes, it is by leaning into grief that we begin the journey of healing in our own lives and in our relationship with God. This is because grief isn't about fixing what has happened as much as it is about learning new ways to navigate the realities that cause us to feel disoriented. Let us set our hearts and minds upon God's grace, trusting that we are always guided by the unwavering love of our Creator, even in the midst of grief and unexpected suffering.

Reflect: When have you faced a hard truth, a reality that was difficult to accept? How did you respond?

Reprinted with permission from A Sanctified Art

No comments:

Post a Comment