Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, March 8, 2024

Connecting

…so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Romans 12:5

From whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love. Ephesians 4:16

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7

In a recent issue of Magnolia Journal, the focus was on connection. Specifically, connection with strangers and those whose paths we may cross but perhaps don’t know well. I immediately thought of how I interact (or don’t interact) with people at the grocery store and other stores. I tend to get my items and move along, not really making small talk or interacting at all except for the basics (yes, no, thank you, here’s my payment). While I think it’s unnecessary to berate myself (life is a balance between accepting who we are, and trying new things/hard things), smiling and interacting with those we come into contact with is hardly difficult, at least for most of us.

Additionally, in our Wednesday bible study, a comment was recently made about being “invisible” once we reach a certain age. I agree and have noticed it as well. How can I make that different for someone?

Some of the thoughts in the Magnolia article made me want to try harder:

“…within that space between strangers is where possibility hangs in the air like ripe fruit - and we have the chance to reach for it.”

Further, “we become humans noticing other humans.” Keeping our eyes up, not down, is a way to “find each other on this shared journey”. Sometimes we never know when a chance encounter will lead to something more!

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to notice others with whom I come into contact. Whether it’s just a smile, a conversation started, or noticing someone, we can show your love to others.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment