Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Old Age

"Even to your old age and gray hairs

       I am he, I am he who will sustain you.

       I have made you and I will carry you;

       I will sustain you and I will rescue you.”

                                                Isaiah 46:4

This verse comes to mind each year around my birthday.  I can’t deny that I’ve reached “old age.” And since I haven’t been to my hairstylist for six months, I can’t hide my “gray hairs.” 

However, the verse reminds us that no matter how old we are or how gray our hair gets, God is there. It is He who sustains us. He made us and carries us. Indeed, He rescues us. It is so easy to forget that during stressful times. We’ve experienced a lack of control over so many things, when we want to be in control of everything. If we need to be rescued, we try to figure out how to do it ourselves. Or we call on friends or family for assistance. 

It’s important to remember that we need to rely on God. He’s there for us and willing to help us. He’s willing to have a relationship with us. But a relationship cannot be one-sided—it requires that two parties work together. No matter how far into “old age” we get or how many “gray hairs” we have (or try to cover up), God is there for us.

Prayer: Dearest Lord, we thank you for your sustenance and your acting as our rescuer. Forgive us for trying to take charge of everything ourselves and failing to nurture our relationship with you. Help us to appreciate all we have been given, now and into “old age.”

Robin Hadfield

No comments:

Post a Comment