Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, September 11, 2020

Laughing Helps

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.  If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.  My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. John 15:9-12

My sister & husband, brother & wife and my husband & I met with my nephew that farms the land our parents left for us. The crops looked beautiful. The prices of corn and soybeans are not at all good. The taxes are still very high. The pandemic has kept us apart.

So, my sister and her husband decided to lighten up the end of the meeting on my brother’s patio by showing us the card and singing they planned for their friends' 50th wedding anniversary. They started out reading and very often sang the first line of songs written in the 50s and 60s that we all encountered when we were young.

AS THEY READ THE CARD THEY SANG:

Pretty Woman

Hey there Lonely Girl

Walk like a Man

The Answer is Blowin' in the Wind

Our Day Will Come if we Just Wait a While

She wore Blue Velvet (She actually wore red velvet)

Happy Together

If I were a Carpenter and you were a Lady, Would you Marry me Anyway, Would you Have my Baby

Dancing in the Street

He’s so Fine, I know he is Mine

I Only Want to be with You

The Sugar Shack

They hadn’t Lost That Lovin Feelin', Oh That Lovin Feelin'

The love between the couple being honored and the fun of hearing these melodies again made us all laugh. I could see smiles, hear some singing along, and saw joy on everyone’s face.

Prayer: Dear Lord, I am sure it makes you feel joy too when a group breaks out in fun and laughter. Thank you for those times, especially during this pandemic when we don’t often meet together in person. Thank you for those who reach 50 years of marriage. Please be with us to spread happiness and joy. Help us to have genuine love and see more and more marriages last 50 years. Amen.

Sandra Hilsabeck

No comments:

Post a Comment