Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, September 28, 2020

Better Than New

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.” 2 Cor. 5:17

“Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.” Is. 43:19

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Ps.147:3

“He has made everything beautiful in its time." Ecc. 3:11

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Is. 41:10

I heard the crash from the next room. My fears were confirmed as I peeked around the corner to find my favorite ceramic platter had fallen on the table. As I retrieved the two broken pieces, I reflected on the sweet gift from my sister and the happy events it had served, as I threw it away. Disappointed. Ruined. Then, I thought, perhaps with some super glue, it wouldn’t look too bad. So, out of the trash it came with hopes of restoration. The pieces fit back together nicely but the crack was still evident and right down the middle. No hiding it. I set it back on the easel but every time I walked by it, what did I see? The crack, front and center. As I lamented to my husband that is was flawed and useless and threatened to throw it out a second time, he gave me the nicest compliment. He said, “No! We must keep it! It reminds me of you! You try to see the best in people. Because of their brokenness, not in spite of it, you love and accept others as they are. You see beauty and value, where others see flaws. You work to mend hurts, bring people together, and extend forgiveness.” Well, I don’t know if I am deserving of such nice words but I know someone who is.     

Writer Debbie McDaniel shares this in a recent devotion. In Japan, they’ve made an art out of restoring broken things. An ancient practice called Kintsugi, meaning “golden joinery” or “to patch with gold,” is an age-old custom of repairing cracked pottery with real gold, not only fixing the break, but greatly increasing the value of the piece.

The heart of it all - turning what is broken into beautiful, cherished pieces, by sealing the cracks and crevices with lines of fine gold. Instead of hiding the flaws, Kintsugi artists highlight them, creating a whole new design and bringing unique beauty to the original piece. The pottery actually becomes more beautiful and valuable in the restoration process because, though it was once broken, it not only has history, but a new story.

While most normal repairs of broken things hide themselves, like nicely sealed super glue fixes, the usual intent is simply to make something “as good as new.” Yet the art of Kintsugi reinforces a profound belief that the repair can make things not only as good as they were before, but “better than new.”

Better than new. Soak that in for a moment.

There are lies out there that swirl around and whisper to your deepest soul in weak moments, when you’ve lost your grip, and things come crashing down. You feel the need to hide the scars. You feel like the brokenness has rendered you useless in life. You feel beyond repair this time. You feel tossed aside. Forgotten. Shamed. Rejected.

Yet God breaks through all that mess. You are never beyond healing. You are never too broken for restoration. You are never too shattered for repair. Don't be ashamed of your scars, of the deep crevices that line your soul, or the broken places of your life. They have an amazing story to tell.

We have a Healer. One who repairs; who can fit the broken pieces that no longer seem to fit right into a perfect design. God works, often behind the scenes, mending, fitting together, creating a better work of art, more than we ever dreamed possible. He makes all things beautiful. Especially in the broken. All from His grace. Jagged edges and all.

You are not just simply patched back together, as He secretly hopes the glue will stick this time. Your repair and healing is never intended to be invisible; but beautifully lined with shining grace through every scar and broken space. Gold filled crevices of our heart, now stronger, better, more beautiful than before.

We did keep our platter. It is still used for many happy occasions and is proudly displayed, on a sturdier base, now. It reminds us of the unconditional love and healing grace, that only God can provide. We pray, that as we realize the restorative love we have received in our own lives, let us ask God to soften our hearts and extend grace and encouragement, so that others might experience “better than new” life in Jesus Christ.

Lovingly submitted by Diane Worrell Eaton


(Click on photo to view larger)

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment