Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Change and Consistency

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8 

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17 

Change and consistency. That’s what 2020 has been all about for me! What things can I control and keep familiar? What changes do I want to initiate and control?  Of the changes beyond my control what do I like about this “new” socially distant world?  It is comforting to know that God is always with us. When I have gotten “fussy” about the changes to the act of worshipping I have found some comfort in thinking about what worship looked like 100 years ago, 200 years ago, 2000 years ago. 

I have especially wondered about how churches functioned during the 1918 influenza pandemic. While there were 6 million people with a home telephone by 1910 and there were certainly party lines; Zoom, Facebook Live, YouTube and Webex were certainly unimagined.  I have wondered about the HUGE cathedrals on the East Coast and if they used anything similar to our current efforts like keeping individuals physically separated and staying home when you were ill.  What would skipped aisles and family seating arrangements look like in a church that could accommodate 700 worshippers? Did the minister travel to homes?  Were there recordings of sermons? Did we use radio stations? Outdoor services? Deacons to spread the word to smaller groups?   

What about in 1820, when America was still young, and smallpox was a worldwide issue. The CDC reports that in the worst of times the mortality rate for smallpox was one in three infected. Would we be more serious about protecting ourselves and our community if the risk from COVID was that great?  Small churches were being built and groups gathered to worship. This would have been nearly 30 years before the telegraph and 50 before the telephone. Did ministers arrange for outdoor gatherings with appropriate social distancing? Did you bring a blanket or tablecloth to sit on to identify the space for your family? Did you stay home if you were ill and have a family member share the good news with you in your sick room?

Then I think about what things would have been like when Jesus was still on earth. When he was leading worship he asked for the sick to come forward. We are told in the Bible of his healing of those burdened with leprosy, which we now know as Hansen’s disease and are now aware is not spread from casual contact with others. I think of pictures of beautiful outdoor amphitheaters with stone and wood benches in ancient Jerusalem and wonder about other open air ways for the people to worship. Obviously a pandemic would not be a good time for the feeding of the 5,000.   

It has been hard to be apart from one another as a congregation. Worshipping independently from home feels unfamiliar. In some ways there are benefits. I can catch an Eastridge service live and then later in the day or on a different day hop on You Tube and hear my daughter in law’s sermon. With my Smart TV and my Smart Phone I can watch and listen to worship while I am doing other things. I might be cutting a quilt, or cleaning the house.  I can get dressed up or attend in my pajamas. I can mow the lawn right before the service and start listening from the shower. I admit, communion has been coffee and toast, instead of juice and bread. Even though I am alone, it is comforting to know that I am listening with others. This week we recorded our bell performance at the end of practice. We were able to have more than one “take” to record our pieces and we weren’t rushed to get in one last practice before the sanctuary filled up. It was nice but so different.      

Prayer: God who has watched us on this earth for so many years, we are fortunate to have so many ways to access your word. Help us to remember that there have always been times when it wasn’t easy for your people to gather in worship. Help us to maintain perspective and continue our efforts to protect one another and remain healthy. Amen.   

Christi Moock

No comments:

Post a Comment