Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, July 31, 2020

Psalm 30


How Can I Keep from Singing
My life flows on in endless song

Above earth’s lamentation
I catch the sweet though far off hymn
That hails a new creation

No storm can shake my inmost calm

While to that rock I’m clinging
Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing

Through all the tumult and the strife

I hear that music ringing
It finds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing

What though the joys

And comforts die
The Lord my Savior liveth
What though the darkness
Round me close
Songs in the night He giveth

The peace of Christ

Makes fresh my heart
A fountain ever springing
All things are mine since I am His
How can I keep from singing


You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. Oh Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever. Psalm 30: 11-12

On a recent 95-degree day, upon exiting my car, I noticed a man leaning against the wall by the store front I was entering. I imagine he had limited access to a shower or washing machine. As I approached, I sensed desperation, as our eyes met. I was afraid of what he was going to ask. To my surprise, his request was one dollar. That’s it. One dollar…to buy some water. Oh, the things we take for granted! I can go to the tap in my house and get a drink of cool, clean water any time I want and add ice cubes, if it’s not cold enough! Here’s a person who doesn’t have the luxury of clean clothes or body but even more tragically, living on the streets makes it difficult to find water at all or one must have means to buy it. I don’t know his circumstances but the most basic of needs were apparent and he was appreciative of the water I offered him. I pray it satisfied his body for another day.

My next stop was the grocery store. As I exited my car this time, I noticed beautiful music playing! Where was this coming from? Near the entrance, under a tree, was a young family of four. The music coming from the speaker at their feet was accompanying a teenage boy playing the violin. As my curiosity led me closer to them, I noticed one of the parents holding a sign, explaining they had lost their jobs and any donations would be appreciated. Again, I don’t know their circumstances, but I know my job, which I sometimes complain about, provides for me to walk in to buy the groceries needed for the week. They are looking at some dark days but here they were, joyfully sharing music, brightening my day!

I don’t know about you but I have moments of being overwhelmed with the growing list of concerns in our world today. The list spans big issues affecting the world, our country, our state and cities to how very personally these big issues affect each of us or our neighbors.

This song, How Can I Keep from Singing, has a history of resurfacing for me, especially during trying times. I won’t think of it for a few years, and then, there it is again, when I need it most. By the grace of God, I haven’t personally experienced desperation as in these two instances, but I have had days of overwhelming fear, pain, anxiety, and concern with uncertainty, loss, and dark lamentation.

I pray this text and hear the beautiful melody and harmonies and wish I could share them with these neighbors in need. As God speaks to me through the Psalm and this song, I am reminded that no storm can shake my inmost calm, while to that rock I’m clinging. Since Christ is Lord of heaven and earth, how can I keep from singing. My wailing turns into dancing, my grief is removed and I’m filled with joy, that my heart would overflow with thankfulness and couldn’t possibly keep silent! When nothing else makes sense, when uncertainty overwhelms, the peace of Christ makes fresh my heart, a fountain ever springing; all things are mine since I am HIS, how can I keep from singing! We MUST keep singing!

Diane Worrell Eaton


No comments:

Post a Comment