Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Please Fix It

“Depart from evil, and do good.  Seek peace and pursue it.” Psalm 34:14 

“Peace begins with a smile.”  I like this quote from Mother Teresa.

I also like the hymn, “Let There Be Peace on Earth.”

I thought of these phrases, specifically,

             “With God as our Father

              Brothers all are we.”


            “Let me walk with my brother

            In perfect harmony.”

I recently read the story of  Eleanora, an 8-year-old girl who shared her concerns to the Judiciary Committee of the Nebraska Legislature.  Reporter JoAnne Young wrote the story in the Lincoln Journal Star newspaper.

Eleanora and her mother watched the hearing at home on their television while they ate their lunch. Eleanora said to her mother, “I want to go talk.” She continued, “Leo is really important to me, and I want him to have a good life.”   Eleanora, her parents, her brother Leo and younger sister, Edda live in Omaha where the hearing was held.

Eleanora waited patiently, an hour and a half, at the hearing.  More than 90 people had approached the committee.  Few remained. The chair said it was long after 5 p.m. and he had to turn the Scott Center in Omaha back to the folks that run it.  Eleanora hurried to the microphone. She had to tell them about her 7-year-old brother. “My name is Eleanora Marinkovich.” - she spelled it for the record. “I hear you can make laws to make it better for him. My brother, Leo, is treated unfairly because his skin color is darker than mine. He was born in Africa and my parents adopted him. I think he should be able to wear his athletic hoodie and play with water guns as his white friends do without her parents worrying for his safety.”

Leo had soccer practice and didn’t attend the hearing. But he told his sister that he was happy about what she did. “He said thank you, like four times.” Eleanora said. “My legs were shaking, but otherwise, it was awesome.” she concluded.

What can each of us do to make things better for those treated unfairly? Those who are bullied or hurting?     

Prayer: God, you know how I am tempted to take the easy way and ignore those who need our support. Help me to listen for your guidance. Open our eyes and hearts to the hurting world. Amen.

Lois Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment