Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Seeds

He told another parable to them: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that someone took and planted in his field. 32 It’s the smallest of all seeds. But when it’s grown, it’s the largest of all vegetable plants. It becomes a tree so that the birds in the sky come and nest in its branches." Matthew 13:31-32 

I share this verse from Matthew because it was the text for ordination sermon when I was ordained 45 years ago (7/20/75). Many ministries, relationships, churches pastored, people called, marriages performed, baptisms celebrated, confirmations commissioned and more.  It was figured that I had preached over 4 thousand times I think, not to mention the countless hours of session meetings, committee meetings, deacon meetings, and presbytery, synod and General Assembly meetings.  I lost count of miles driven, walked, and journeyed over that time.

Over that time, what seeds have been planted from the service and witness that I have given – (not me alone but the Spirit of Him Who is within me!)  Could it have been the sermon I first preached?  Could it have been a summer camp at which I was a co-director with Chelli Olson over the last 15 plus years at Calvin Crest?  Could it have been one of the countless baptisms or confirmations, or even weddings I performed? (After one wedding, I had a father of the bride come up to me and said that he would begin coming back to church.  He did and has been faithful, long after I left that church.) 

So, yes, there may have been seeds planted.  It is a seed that our gospel lesson describes as very small but which grows into a large bush that can shelter the birds. 

It is a seed that grows without much of my effort.  In fact, the pastor who preached at my ordination said, “John, the Kingdom of God can get along without you!”  Boy, what a downer that was on such an auspicious event as my ordination!  No, the pastor went on to say that such a comment was to ease my stress – to liberate me from the tedium and anxiety of ministry, for the seed grows once it is planted by me and any other disciples of Jesus.  We plant.  God does the rest.  So, in ministry, I planted and I pray that God has done the rest and continues with seeds that are still growing and providing the shelter of ministry.  For each of us – we do the planting while God does the rest.  Then we see the miracle happening and continuing even as I look back over the last 45 years!  Praise be to God!

Prayer: Lord, may I be but a planter of mustard seeds so that I may delight in the work of Your Spirit in seeing what our Lord will grow for the building up of the Church of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Rev. Dr. John J. Duling, Parish Associate

No comments:

Post a Comment