Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Peace and Love During the Pandemic


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 (NIV)

Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others. Philippians 2:4 (NKJV)

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. John 15:12 (NIV)

When God’s people are in need, be ready to help them. Always be eager to practice hospitality. Romans 12:13 (NLT)

Being an introverted personality type, and an Enneagram number that craves inner peace, this “social distancing” thing is easy for me.  As I've mentioned before, in times of stress, I like to curl up in a warm, comfortable ball and shut out anything that messes with my “inner sanctum”.  I've done lots of Netflix-watching, yard work and household projects to distract me from the chaos of this pandemic. This is a good coping mechanism...to a point. 

Unfortunately, sometimes I’m so distracted--or maybe a better word is numb--that I don't feel God nudging me to reach out and help others.  When I finally open my eyes, I see that maybe all this isolation and “social distancing” has not been so easy for some people.  It can take a mental and emotional toll--especially on those living alone. While it’s important to practice “physical distancing” right now, there are still many ways to safely reach out...phone calls, video calls, “Zoom”, texting, letters, a friendly "hello" and wave from the driveway, small gifts dropped on the porch and more. 

When God’s calling me to reach out to people during stressful times, I need to be listening, available and willing--not numb. The moment stress hits, I must ask God for peace and guidance. (Perhaps that means I’ll need to unroll from my warm, comfy ball and do something inconvenient.)  And yet, when I do finally follow God’s lead, here’s what’s awesome:  My heart finds joy in the blessings that flow--both from my heart and to it!  

Prayer: God of Peace and Love, forgive us for seeking peace that “the world gives”. It’s effect is a temporary numbing...which may make us miss out on opportunities to reach out to others. Help us remember, in times of stress, to find our peace IN YOU...and then to extend your peace and love to others.  And...thank you so much for your loving support during this pandemic. Amen. 

Sharon Irvin


No comments:

Post a Comment