Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, August 3, 2020

Content


Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said “I will never leave you or forsake you” Hebrews 13:5

In many times in my life I have turned to this verse. I have used it when I didn’t have any money. Those times, in your 20s where you spend it all and wait to get paid again – those are exciting and terrifying times that help us to grow up to be mostly responsible adults, and hone our negotiation skills with the lovely ladies at the electric company. I have used it when having conversations with our son – don’t run out and buy a brand new car because you have your first “real job” give it a few months and see what your expenses are really like, write a budget, see what you can afford, walk into the car dealership knowing exactly what you are willing to spend, how much money you have to put down and buy something you like, not something to show off, because you are the one who has to drive it. I have used it in conversations with our Boy Scouts – when we were leaders - figure out what you like to do and then build a career around  that – don’t chase money, a career is about satisfaction and doing something you enjoy, if it pays a lot of money that is a bonus.

And being content, why is this so hard sometimes? I will admit that in weak moments, I have an unhealthy sense of competition. This week walking the dogs I was caught up in the competition of life. How does “she” afford a Lexus?  “He” didn’t even finish two years of college, what company has him in a position as a Vice President paying him more than $200,000 a year? “They” don’t make near as much as we do, how can they afford that kind of travel? When I catch myself in these comparative moments I have to refocus on my contentment. Do I even want a Lexus? Not really. Do I think that education is the only way to get a good job? Just because I needed a lot for my career doesn’t mean that all work is stacked that way. Have I been deprived of travel? No and I choose to travel to my favorite places more often than traveling to a new and exotic destination. 

So how do I get caught up in this loop of malcontent and greed? I could blame society, advertising, sibling rivalry (I’m an only child though), or maybe even human nature. Didn’t we learn in Exodus 20:17 that we shouldn’t covet anything of our neighbors? Not his wife or animals or anything that belongs to him.  Is it all about desiring the things that others have because we want them, or is it instead tied into placing value on our own worth by comparing what we have with others?  I have to stop in these moments and think about verses like this nugget of wisdom from Hebrews.  Am I content?  Do I believe that God is with me? Do I trust his plan for my life? Do I want to bend it to conform with my own goals and wishes? You bet! But I have to trust.  I have to remember that this life is a gift. That happiness cannot be bought and sold. That I am working my way down a path towards good life and contentment.  One of the synonyms for contentment is satisfaction. Do I find my life to be satisfying?  Absolutely.    

Prayer: God who knows all my goals and desires, help me to remember that I am on the path to the things that I want, and that I should not be distracted by the things that others have.  Be patient as I learn to be more content and satisfied with the wonderful gifts You have shared with me

Christi Moock

No comments:

Post a Comment