Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, January 17, 2020

The Game

Football isn’t the only game in this state! I, like many others, follow the nationally ranked, University of NE women’s volleyball team. Several weeks ago, my husband, Gregg, and I were settled in our family room, anxiously awaiting the much anticipated top 10 matchup. Gregg set up the DVR to record the game. We then viewed the game 15-30 minutes later so we could fast forward through the commercials and time-outs. The Huskers came out firing on all cylinders, and won the first two, best of five, sets. They’re looking good; I’m feeling good! The next set, they faltered a bit. “Ok, we’ll let the other team have one”, I said to my fidgeting self. The fourth set was even worse. Oh, no! Dread was setting in. The Huskers seemed to have lost their rhythm and the other team found theirs. Ugh! We had one final set to decide the match. The momentum was definitely swinging in favor of the opponent. My stomach was turned upside down, heart pounding, body tense, and emotions high! 

The fifth and final set begins. The score was tied 3-3. I’m thinking, “oh dear, I might have to go to bed. I can’t watch! My heart can’t take this anymore!” About that time, I received a text from my son, who had been watching the game in actual time (15 minutes ahead of us). I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read, “How bout those Huskers! Great come back and win, huh!” Well, I’ll be darned! With a smile coming across my face, I breathed a sigh of relief and watched until the end of the game. I felt myself relaxing into my chair, my breathing slowed, pulse returning to normal. I cheered and truly enjoyed the last points of the match…mostly because I knew the outcome. 

Wouldn’t that be nice if life was like that?! If we only knew how it was going to turn out; oh, the strain and stress we could save ourselves! In my humanness, I want control of my future and experiences (and everybody else’s!). I am impatient, prideful, and critical. I don’t understand the “whys” or the waiting for answers. Direction seems absent; the pain is never-ending; doubt, anger, and fear persist; with no end in sight. The struggle is exhausting. Where is my faith?

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!), life isn’t like that. God says in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you, and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” God desires that we release the hold on our future, worries, and doubts and surrender them to him. Our faith will be deepened as we rest assured that He is walking with us every step and has our best interest in mind. We can live out a joyful life in praise, gratitude, and humility, when we trust in His plan and look forward to a hopeful future; no matter the outcome, what happens along the way, or how long it takes. Whether the score says it or not, we’ll still feel like winners when we see the fingerprints of God in our lives. 

Prayer: Jesus, our friend, thank you for your ever-steadfast love. We ask for your mercy in times when we flounder on our own. Thank you for bringing us back to you. Lift us, calm us, comfort and encourage us as we relinquish control to you. Help us keep our eyes on you, emotions in check, pride at bay, and feet on the ground. You are our trusted rock and redeemer! Amen

Diane Worrell Eaton


No comments:

Post a Comment