Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, January 10, 2020

Bye, Bye, Now...

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?” John 11:25-26

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” John 14:1-3 ESV  

A couple of months ago a co-worker and I were discussing language (part-time anthropologists that we are) and the way we greet and say goodbye to others. The conversation was prompted by one of our church members, Anna Meier, often ending her phone calls with “bye, bye, now…”. I’ve only heard one other person use this form of farewell and we were speculating on the deeper meaning. Is it cultural? Passed down through families? Brian, my co-worker, suggested maybe “bye, bye, now” can mean “goodbye, for now, but I look forward to seeing you again”. We both agreed that it lent an air of warmth to the interaction.

Now that Anna is gone, I’ve been thinking about her form of farewell this week. I think of her service to Eastridge and its members, her service in the Lincoln community, and her devotion to her family. The affection and kindness conveyed in her “bye, bye, now” parting sentiment are fitting. And as Christians, our belief in the hope of the resurrection means that death isn’t the end. So, not “goodbye” but “bye, bye, now…”: until we meet again.

Prayer: Dear Lord, be with us in our grief. Help us to remember your promise of eternal life. Comfort those who are mourning the loss of loved ones today. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment