Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Thank you!


We give thanks to you, O God, we give thanks, for Your name is near; Men declare your wondrous works. Psalm 75:1

The expression “thank you” can mean many things; just a courteous reply for a task or favor someone has done for us; a curt reply at the end of a conversation in person or on the telephone in order to end an exchange of words quickly; or it can be a heartfelt, fervent thanks from the bottom of the heart for a gift of love, forgiveness, or kindness. Sometimes I end in my daily prayers of supplication for myself and others without remembering to say, “Thank you, Lord, for your many, many blessings.”

In a phone conversation with my birth mother recently (she is 92 and I am 72, but I have only known her for a few years) she said, “I’ve never done very much for you.” I thought for a second and then said, “You gave me a gift no one else ever can—you gave me the gift of life. Thank you!” I don’t think I have ever said that to her before, and I’m not sure I had ever thanked God for the miracle of our finding each other just a few years back. After I thought, “What if I had waited until too late to express my thankfulness to her?”

How many times do we miss the opportunity to say ‘thank you’ when it might mean so much to someone else? I’m going to try to do better.

Prayer: Dear Lord, I thank you for your never-failing guidance, comfort and strength, and for your miracles, seen and unseen, that surround us. Help us to be truly grateful for our many blessings each day. Amen

Betty McBride (reprinted from the Eastridge Daily Devotion book, printed in 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment