Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, June 14, 2019

God’s Plan, Our Plan


We all, like sheep have gone astray; we have all turned to our own way, and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.”  Isaiah 53:6

“Yet, O Lord, you are our Father, we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of Your hand.” Isaiah 64:8

“A camel and his driver each have their own plan.”  I recently read this African proverb in my African Wisdom for Life calendar. 

It reminded me of our childhood Shetland pony, Judy. My Dad purchased Judy as a surprise for my sisters and me. Judy came complete with everything needed plus a bonus buggy. For our birthday parties, my Mom gave buggy rides (powered by Judy, our Shetland pony) for each guest and the birthday girl.

I recall some surprises Judy gave us. One day when we left a gate open a crack, Judy slipped through and ran over a mile to Harbine, the nearest town. Another time when I was riding Judy, she headed for our wire clothesline planning to dump me off her back. I ducked and lifted the clothesline just in time. Yes, Judy, our Shetland pony had a mind of her own.

If we are honest, we sometimes have our own plans and ignore what God has planned for us. A gospel hymn reminds us to follow God’s plan. “Have Thine Own Way Lord” was first published in 1907.  Adelaide A. Pollard wrote the lyrics and George Stebbins composed the music.

“Have thy own way, Lord!
  Have thine own way!
 Thou art the Potter,
 I am the clay.
 Mold me and make me,
 After thy will.
While I am waiting,
 yielded and still.”

Prayer: God, you know that we often follow our own plan rather than yours. Remind us that your plan leads us in the right direction every time. Amen.

Lois Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment