Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Above the Clouds


"The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. A man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV)

"Yes, just as you can identify a tree by its fruit, so you can identify people by their actions." Matthew 7:20  (NLT)

When I flew recently, it was a stormy, cloudy day in Lincoln. Earthbound prior to boarding the plane, my mood matched the weather. However, as the plane soared to its travelling altitude, clouds gave way to sunshine. The clouds that from the earth appeared dark and foreboding looked like a pristine, snow-laden field from above. Needless to say, my mood improved!

Sometimes appearances can be deceiving. If I took the analogy I shared above literally, I guess I’m saying that the day was either beautiful and full of sun or dark and full of storm clouds depending on my perspective (in this case, my location). Looking at the two scripture passages above, we can let this analogy further our understanding of what God says is important. Each scripture focuses on something a bit different. In the first, God wants us to look deeper. That may be getting to know someone better and/or not judging someone based on one thing we may know about them.

In the second verse, we need to know that our actions speak louder than our words. It also makes me think of this passage: where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to remember to look deeper than superficial appearances, and help me to cultivate a heart for serving you and loving others, and to reveal that heart in my actions. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment