Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Words Can Hurt

Psalm 23
(A Psalm of David.) The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


As a child I remember “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”. In the movie, Bambi, Thumper said “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”. As I child I do remember being teased, which probably now a days would be called bullying.  

As an adult I don’t believe people should get offended by everything around them. I also believe it’s the intent or the spirit that hurts not the words. I also believe that Thumper is right: if you don’t have anything nice to say keep it to yourself. As a Christian I don’t understand the need or desire to intentionally hurt someone’s feelings, even if that person is intentionally trying to hurt your feelings or spirit.  

As a Christian I believe in standing up for what I believe and standing up for the person who can’t stand up for themselves. I also believe in praying for my enemies that they may find their way to Jesus and change their ways. I know it is their journey and only Jesus can guide them. I also don’t know the path that led them to this destructive behavior.  

Recently I was confronted with a situation with someone trying to damage my spirit but knowing I am never facing life’s trials by myself helped me. I heard recently someone say as long as I am holding hands and entering the room with Jesus I can do anything.  

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for always walking with me in the good and bad on this earth.  Thank you for guiding me to do my best in treating others with the same respect I wish to receive.  Hold my tongue from causing any damage to others.  Let me not judge others but I pray for their finding your love.  Amen

Lori Hood 

No comments:

Post a Comment