Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, May 13, 2019

A Simple Phrase


He said therefore, “What is the kingdom of God like?  And to what shall I compare it? It is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and sowed in his garden; and it grew and became a tree, and the birds of the air made nests in its branches.”  Luke 13:18-19

A friend recently told me how the simple phrase “I’ll pray for you” changed her life. She had left the church as an adolescent when she moved out of her parents’ home, so for her adult life she had basically denied God’s existence.  Then a few years ago during a particularly stressful time, a co-worker said, “I’ll pray for you.”  “I had never had anyone say, ‘I’ll pray for you’ before,” she said. That little phrase drew my friend into a community of believers who relied on God and who lovingly cared for one another. It changed her life. What a wonderful thing the co-worker did.  Four little words, but more powerful than she realized. I wonder how often I’ve missed opportunities to do or say something that would help someone find God’s loving arms.

Prayer: Thank you, God, for my friend’s co-worker. Thank you for the power of your loving care. Help us in our daily lives to be active members in your community.

Lois Coleman (reprinted from Daily Devotional Book, November 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment