Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, May 6, 2019

Ceaseless Prayer


Now we exhort you, brethren, warn those who are unruly, comfort the fainthearted, uphold the weak, be patient with all. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

The Ceaseless app, recommended by a co-worker, is an app for prayer. Each day, it offers beautiful landscape photography and scripture, and randomly chooses three people from one's phone contacts for whom to pray. You can add notes to each profile, so that each time the app rolls around to that profile/person (it’s a rotation of three people per day), you can either see how you’ve prayed for them in the past, or add to the notes.

I like the choice of the word “Ceaseless” in creating the app. One commentary on the above verse says that to “pray without ceasing” means that we are ever present with God throughout the entire day. Ever present, calling on Him to guide and direct us through our daily tasks. Being aware of our actions, and how we can be God’s representatives here on earth. In the case of this particular app, I think we can include others in those “ceaseless” prayers…maybe taking the focus off our own concerns for a brief time. The definition of “others” in this instance: those we are close to, and those we only come into contact with briefly. I have many phone contacts that aren’t people that I’m currently connected to, like my children’s high school friends, brides/mothers of brides whose weddings I’ve photographed, etc. So occasionally when a name pops up in the app, I’m reminded of a memory with that person who may not be a part of my current life.

I like this idea. It makes me aware that we all touch each other during seasons in our lives, and then perhaps lose touch…but we are all in need of prayer, and are all connected as children of God.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to connect to others and to connect to You through prayer. Remind me that to pray ceaselessly means to walk with You, every day. Amen.

Donna Gustafson




No comments:

Post a Comment