Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, May 8, 2019

The Fish Philosophy


Jesus said to them: “Come with Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” And at once they left their nets and followed Him.  Mark 1:17

During a visit with my son’s family last fall, I had occasion to attend a special activity at the elementary school where three of my grandchildren attend. While there, I met a sixth grade teacher who had a wonderful rapport with her students. When I asked her secret, she replied, “Oh, it’s simple really. I just follow the ‘fish philosophy.’”  “What,” I asked, “is the ‘fish philosophy’?” She explained, “I teach my students to make their work fun, to help others where they can; and then, no matter what happens, to just keep swimming.” As I listened to her explanation, I thought how her fish philosophy echoes our Christian way of life. Jesus made learning fun by telling interesting stories. We call these stories parables. He helped where He could, and He called other people to help by becoming “fishers of men.” We call this discipleship.  When Jesus was faced with scourging and crucifixion, He just kept going toward the goal of saving us from our sins. We call this Christianity.

Make learning fun, help others where you can, and no matter what happens, just keep swimming. I think Christians and followers of the “fish philosophy” have a great deal in common. Don’t you?

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, we thank You for the life and teaching of your Son, Jesus the Christ.  Please forgive us when we fail for we are still learning how to find joy in our daily lives, how to be Jesus’ disciples, and how to keep on trying no matter what happens.  In Jesus’ name we pray.  Amen. 

Judy Welch (reprinted from Daily Devotional Book, November 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment