Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

God Cares, Others Care

“Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.” I Peter 5:7

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.” John 13:34

“So then, whenever we have an opportunity, let us work for the good of all, and especially for those of the family of faith.” Galatians 6:10 

Prayer Concerns at Eastridge Presbyterian Church are lifted up in our weekly Lamp as well as emails. Many churches do this.

I recall at one of my previous churches, prayers in action shown to our family. When I was recovering from surgery, a fellow church member delivered a meal to our home. Many times, we had given this “love in action” to others. The church member sensed I felt uncomfortable receiving the generous meal for our family of five. She said, “We just found the skinniest family to fatten up.”  That made me smile.

Recently, I have been challenged by a painful leg and back issue.  Church members have reached out to my husband and me.  Hopefully, now older and wiser, I accept this gratefully.  Just as God cares for us, we are called to care for others.

Persons of any age can share a smile.  I am especially pleased when young people hold open a door or give me a smile. 

Gary Sinise, actor states, “Each person on this planet is here for a purpose ---- That purpose is to care for other people and to help this world become a better place through service to others.”

Each day we have opportunities to show love in action.  What can we do today?  The prayer below, used in our worship bulletin on May 12, 2019, lists some simple ways we can share love with others.

Prayer: Generous God, we thank you for all we have been given.  As we learn to recognize our gifts, help us not to overlook the simple ones: the smile for strangers, the word of encouragement, the get-well card, the listening ear, the willingness to be patient with the long-winded, and gentle with people we find difficult. So shall we all be enriched with your grace, and share your love with all we meet. Amen.

Lois Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment