Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Decisions


“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6 (NIV)


I decided to make a change in my life and move closer to my family. The change began with looking for a home. I was in no hurry so I took the time to look into a couple different options as I had told myself when the right house became available that would be the exact time to move. The opportunity came for a home that was close to my family and was a nice setting outside in the country. This also meant giving up the conveniences of living in the city of immediate access to groceries, shopping and restaurants. This meant moving farther away from friends. It meant giving up activities and volunteer work that I have become accustomed to and enjoy. I had now lived in Lincoln for almost 30 some years.  I had already downsized a major portion but still plenty to move. I also knew that my grand-niece and nephews were growing up fast and to enjoy them more the closer I lived, the easier it would be.  


The labor-some task had begun. It is then I remembered I don’t like moving: the packing, cleaning, and asking friends and relatives for their help loading the moving truck, etc. I joked I should have moved when I was younger when my friends were younger and healthier. I have moved 9 times before but was younger and healthier. I pushed on and we had gotten everything in the truck to my new address, but my car and was full of fragile items I didn’t trust in the truck. On my last trek, we headed out; my sister was following me and we had three bridges to cross near Platte River. Only 5 more miles, when as they say out of nowhere a huge deer stepped in front of my vehicle. BANG! The van came to a stop, steam which I had at first thought was smoke came from the engine. Then darkness, the lights went out and the engine stopped. Thank goodness my sister was behind me as she had headlights to light the road. Then the most painful part was in front of me, the deer obviously crippled but not dead. It kept attempting to get up. I called 911 and she asked if everyone was okay, and yes both my dog and I were fine. My dog had been snuggled safely on the floor; I had my seatbelt on which did cut across my throat which felt like it had cut me, and was sore on right side of chest from the pressure of the seatbelt. But no major injuries. I had already slowed down knowing the bridges and being in the month of December that they might be slick; which they told me probably was good as the air bag didn’t explode. In talking to the dispatcher she asked several times if I was okay, I am sure the shocked sound of my voice made her question me and asked even if my dog was okay as I had told her who was in the vehicle. I told her my concern was the deer and was suffering.  She assured me an officer would be there shortly. She assured me the officer would take care of everything. And she was correct! He came and asked if I wanted to go sit in his cruiser so I wouldn’t have to watch him euthanize the deer. The dispatcher had called a tow truck. It wasn’t till later that facing the damage of my vehicle came to mind. 


As thoughts began reviewing in my mind, through all the stress I realized that God was with me through it all. He never left my side and he had others there to comfort me and guide me.  

Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment